Jesus Christ is our pattern for life. "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

YET ANOTHER HOBBY!

Over the years I have had a lot of hobbies; hunting, archery, Colonial reenacting, long distance bike riding, farm toy collecting, hot rods, and the list goes on. So, now I figured I was due for a new one....making barn quilts.

Back in 2008, I made a couple barn quilts for my parents, Vivian and Madge Bentley, for Christmas to hang on their barn. But, these were a little different, in that, they have a design on both sides. That way they won't get so tired of looking at one design and can switch them when they want.
It was a lot of fun making them and really not that hard. I actually hate to paint but I found that laying out the designs and doing the painting was really not too bad.
The top left design is called "Summer Star Flower" and the one on the right is "Nine Patch Star". The picture below shows the left pattern called "Father's Choice" and "Contrary Wife" on the right. They are 4' x 4' square.

Here's a picture of them mounted on the front of my parents barn. I'll try and show the other side next time they are changed.
So, recently, a lady mentioned to my mother that she really liked the barn quilts on display on their barn and wondered if I'd be interested in making her family one.

So, this blog will be my attempt at showing you some of the patterns that I make and how I make them. What you'll discover is that it really doesn't take a lot of talent to make a barn quilt, and not even a lot of special equipment; otherwise I couldn't do it.

In one of my next blogs, I'll try and give you some history about Barn Quilts. Thank you for looking and I hope you'll enjoy my blog.

Mark Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment