Jesus Christ is our pattern for life. "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

THE MEYER BARN - HARVEST STAR 4

I was asked to make this barn quilt as a wedding anniversary gift from Vicke Meyer to her husband Steve. It was to be placed on one of their barns as a surprise but Vicke said that Steve caught their boys installing it. He was surprised though and liked it.

I recently took my wife, daughter and grandson out to see it. The barn sits about a quarter mile or so to the west of the town of Concord Illinois.

From the information that I’ve gathered, the farm was owned by the William Alvin Martin family and was bought by them back in the late 1940’s. It was purchased in early 2005 from the Martin Family Estate by Bob Freesen thru the Alice Freesen Trust fund. He owned it until sometime in 2010 and sold it to the Meyer family. The barn was originally used to house horses and livestock but was later configured for grain storage.
I think the barn quilt looks really nice on the barn and people entering Concord from the west can very clearly view it. Though I try and use the best paint and materials on each barn quilt I make, the weather in Illinois is harsh and barn quilts won’t last forever. This will be a good example for me to monitor over the next few years to see just how well they will do, especially since this barn quilt faces the west.

I hope to add many more pictures and some brief histories of structures where my barn quilt creations are displayed.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment